We are getting thousands of requests from students. Here is an answer to some of the most frequently asked questions. Did you not find the answer you were looking for? Get in touch with us!

How do I start looking for my dream study programme?

You can find your dream study programme on our portals:

Just use our search to navigate through the programme offer…


…and set filters to further add your preferences regarding disciplines, tuition fees, target countries, language of instruction or other criteria.


You can find suitable scholarships under the “Scholarships” tab of each programme page.

If you are not sure what you want to study, you might want to take a look at the discipline descriptions to see which discipline would suit your interests. And if you don’t know where you would like your next study adventure to take place, you can find country specific information related to studying, living and working on the country pages.

Last but not least, if at the end you still have open questions regarding specific study programmes or a university, you can contact universities directly through our portals.

Back to top

How can I contact a university?

Studyportals helps you send all your requests and questions directly to the university you are interested in. On many Studyportals programme pages there is a blue ‘Request free information’ form on the right hand side which you can use to contact the university directly. After filling in the form, it will be submitted straight to the university.

If the programme does not have a ‘Request free information’ form, then use the direct link on the programme page you are viewing to go to the official programme webpage. If you click on the button, you will be taken straight to the university’s website, where you can find specific information related to your course of interest and look for contact information, if still needed.

Not all pages contain these buttons. If this is the case, you can usually find a link to the university’s web pages in the “More” tab of the Studyportals programme page.

Various ways to contact a university

Back to top

How can I find an application form for the university or check on the status of my application?

You cannot apply for courses through the Studyportals website; you apply for a course directly through your chosen university. For that reason, Studyportals can unfortunately also not inform you on the status of your application. You can usually find all the information you need for the application on the university website or by getting in contact with the university.

Get directly in contact with the university you are interested in.

Back to top

How can I get / find a scholarship?

To facilitate your search for a dream programme, you can now you can find an overview of scholarships available on Scholarshipportal.

To be eligible for financial help from your university or another association, you will usually need to write a short essay on why you think you should receive it – why the area of study interests you, or why you want to study in that location. You may also need to prove you have a good academic record or financial need in order to receive a scholarship.
We can’t answer individual questions about scholarships, so if you have questions regarding a specific scholarship it is easiest if you directly get in contact with the respective scholarship provider or university. You can do so by going to the scholarship page and using the button as seen below in the picture.


You can also apply for the Global Study Awards, a one time grant of £10,000 offered by Studyportals and its partners.

Back to top

Is my English good enough to study abroad?

Most universities that teach in English require a certain level of English language proficiency for you to be admitted to the programme. This is to make sure that you will be able to cope with using the language in an academic environment if you are not a native speaker. The exact level required depends on the university – the international office of your university will be able to tell you exactly what level you require. For most programmes listed on our websites you can also find this information under the ‘Requirements’ tab on the study page.

You will usually need to have taken an exam to prove your level of English within the last two years. If you have a certificate older than that, you may need to re-take the test. You will be expected to prove your ability in reading, writing, speaking and listening. You may not have to take an English test if you have already spent time studying or working in an English-speaking environment – all universities are different, so you should review the requirements for your universities to be sure.

There are lots of different companies offering English proficiency tests. You should check with your university which tests they accept before you take the exam. One of the best and most widely recognised companies providing English language tests is IELTS (International English Language Testing System). IELTS is accepted by thousands of English-speaking institutions all over the world and is the preferred English exam for entry to UK universities. It tests English using real-life examples and has a very high academic standard. You can also check what level of English your institution requires through the IELTS website.

You can find more information about the IELTS test, test dates and test locations on admissiontestportal.com.

Other well-known English language tests are TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), and the Cambridge English certificates. TOEFL focuses on American English and is usually the only recognised language test for entry to US universities (remember that you may also need to take the SAT test for entry to a US university – this also tests your level of language). You can take the TOEFL at a test centre, either in paper form or electronic form. The Cambridge English certificates include IELTS and a variety of other tests at different levels, such as the Certificate of Advanced English and Certificate of English Proficiency. Apart from IELTS, these may not be accepted by your university, but are accepted by many governments and employers as proof of your level of English.

Back to top

Will I be guaranteed a study place at the university if I complete a preparation course?

Successful completion of a preparation course with good grades will guarantee progression to degrees in subjects such as business, law, international relations and English literature at most universities. Sometimes the access is only granted to studies at the university offering the preparation course, sometimes the preparation course is valid for entry in all universities.
Additionally, you may also need to pass a recognized English language test. If you pass the Foundation English for Academic Purposes courses with very good grades you will not be required to sit another English language test for entry to the university.

If you are looking for the best preparation course for you, Preparationcoursesportal offers you the most comprehensive overview, helping you make the right choice!

Back to top

How do I unsubscribe from the Studyportals mailing services?

You can change your mailing preferences by logging in to your account and navigate to your account page. This page also allows you to delete your account and all connected information.